In this episode, I talk with Alison Powell, Assistant Professor at the London School of Economics, where she researches digital media policy, open source culture, and big data. Alison has written a number of papers on community wireless mesh networks, open hardware, and big data – all popular projects on this show.
- Alison’s Blog
- Alison on the London School of Economics
- Big Data from the Bottom Up – Alison Powell and Nick Couldry
- Democratizing Production through Open Source Knowledge – Alison Powell
- Metaphors, models, and communicative spaces: Designing local wireless infrastructure – Alison Powell
- Net neutrality discourses: comparing advocacy and regulatory arguments in the United States and the United Kingdom – Alison Powell and Alissa Cooper
- WiFi Publics: Producing Community and Technology – Alison Powell
Editor & Host at The OKCast
In addition to hosting the OKCast, I am a Ph.D. student in Youth Studies at the University of Minnesota. I study methods of making research to document injustice and resistance available to young people to create social change. My particular focus is on the political economy and ecology of data, including data collection, data use, data access/sharing, data economics, and the ideologies surrounding it.
Latest posts by Alex Fink (see all)
- Season #1 – Summer Break! - June 9, 2015
- Episode #24 – Open Ecology and Conservation with Shah Selbe - April 2, 2015
- Sensor Calibration and Certification with Puneet Kishor - April 2, 2015